Kitchen Week on The Block. It’s the biggest week on the show, and when you hear well-known phrases such as ‘kitchens sell houses’ and ‘kitchens are the heart of the home’, it’s easy to see why this is the week that everyone wants to win. The five Kinsman kitchens revealed on the show last night- and the laundries- were all very different from one another which was incredibly exciting to see and very exciting for us here at Kinsman while we worked with the contestants to bring their visions to life. While they may have been aesthetically different, they all had key elements in common: high-quality finishes, style, functionality, storage galore and showcased a range of modern kitchen design trends that are here to stay!
Read on to discover all the details of each space- as well as what judges Shaynna Blaze, Darren Palmer and Neale Whitaker had to say about each room.
House 1: Kyle and Leslie
Kyle and Leslie’s luxury kitchen design celebrates natural beauty and soft curves. The look focuses on natural, organic materials and finishes which are showcased through the timber-inspired Oak Woodgrain Kinsman kitchen cabinets and arched grey travertine-look counters. Organic detail is seen throughout with the waterfall design of the kitchen island mimicking the archways leading through to the butler’s pantry.
“I love the use of the curves,” Neale said. “Because to me, there’s a lot of reference in this kitchen to the ‘60s, but in a really good way! There’s a lovely sort of retro vibe.”
The colour palette is warm and inviting, with Kinsman’s Oak Woodgrain doors paired with bright and inviting kitchen benchtops and splashbacks. Kinsman’s new 200mm Burnt Bronze Lip Pull handles add the perfect hint of metallic and add warmth. The 3.5-metre-long kitchen island bench provides the ideal space for guests and family to gather, while including a cleaning zone with the inclusion of an integrated built-in sink, integrated dishwasher, and hidden Ninka bin. “It’s almost like they’ve been listening to every season,” smiled Darren. “This is the correct layout for here, and the queen of storage (Shaynna) will be very happy … there is storage galore!”
“The judges thought layout-wise, the cooking zone, the cleaning zone and the location of the refrigerator was all very well thought out in your kitchen,” read Scott Cam.
Creating perfectly cooked meals is a breeze, with a series of Electrolux appliances and a Vintec wine fridge located along the back wall of cabinetry. Storage abounds with a mixture of cupboards and soft-close drawers, both within the main kitchen as well as the kitchen pantry which features our new Lift Up Black Aluminium frames with Clear Acrylic inserts.
Their laundry room design mirrors the look of the kitchen using our Oak Woodgrain cabinetry, with metallic notes added with Burnt Bronze Lip Pull handles, as well as a laundry sink and tap in Gunmetal. The couple selected benchtops and a splashback which mimic Italian travertine in a matte finish.
The small laundry design centres around providing plenty of storage, cleaning space, and a folding zone for the homeowners. The Häfele Tandem Side organisation system allows for easy storage of laundry and cleaning products within the broom cupboard, while the Electrolux washing machine and clothes dryer, and the LG Styler Clothing Care System makes laundry day a breeze. Neale loved the broom cupboard exclaiming “That is the utilities cupboard I need in my life!”
- Kitchen & laundry cabinetry: Oak Woodgrain, Avoca Prime Oak panelling on kitchen island
- Pantry cabinetry: Oak Woodgrain, NEW Lift up black aluminium frame with clear acrylic insert
- Handles: NEW Burnt Bronze Lip Pull (38-D-02)
- Benchtops & splashbacks: Contact Cosentino. Get the look with Silestone by Cosentino in Nolita
- Accessories: Cutlery Trays, Häfele Ninka Bin, Design Side Drawers, Häfele Tandem Side for Broom Cupboard, Häfele Hanging Rail in Black
- Sink: Integrated Built in Sink by Cosentino (kitchen), Hafele sink (pantry), Häfele Single Linen Laundry sink in Gunmetal (laundry)
- Tap: Häfele Gooseneck mixer with vegie spray in Gunmetal (kitchen & laundry), MultiTap by Insinkerator (pantry)
- Lighting: Häfele Warm LED strip lighting
- Appliances: Electrolux, Vintec & LG. Supplied by The Good Guys
House 2: Leah and Ash
With a focus on Micro Luxury, Leah and Ash have balanced style and functionality in their modern kitchen design, proving that you can successfully blend a chic colour palette with smart design to create a statement in smaller spaces. Warmth is created through our opulent Bottega Oak joinery which has been used throughout the kitchen cabinet design. New Champagne-look Soft Ziato Metallic kitchen doors are an exciting addition to our range, adding the perfect amount of glamour above the cooking zone, with Flexy LED Strip lighting illuminating the alcove below. The addition of our new Matt Black Ova Pull kitchen handles and quartzite-inspired benchtops and splashbacks complete the look.
“This aesthetic they’ve chosen for themselves, not only is it polarising but it is interesting,” praised Neale. Shaynna agreed with him wholeheartedly, while Darren summed up how he was feeling in their kitchen in one word: ‘besotted’! He then expanded, “Everything in here is bold and courageous!”
The curved kitchen island bench provides additional storage and seating space. It also features a cleaning zone with the inclusion of a Gunmetal Häfele sink and tap, plus an integrated dishwasher and concealed Ninka Bins. An entertainer’s kitchen, the room offers a plethora of cooking appliances, including two ovens below the cooktop. Two integrated wine fridges are also included, along with a pull-out pantry that conceals the butler’s pantry behind it. The pantry allows mess to be hidden away, providing plenty of cleaning and storage space.
The position of their galley-style laundry cleverly utilises a walkway leading through to one of their home’s bathrooms. A calming and sophisticated palette has been created with a mixture of Stone Grey and Bottega Oak cabinetry, Champagne Bar handles and moody grey benchtops. The Gunmetal tap and sink paired with a Black Hanging Rail adds contrast to the other finishes while being welcome practical additions.
Scott Cam noted that the judges were impressed with the space, saying that it had great features, great amenities, and great taps. “There’s lots of good usable bench space, and a hanging rod,” added Darren.
Blending form and function, the laundry design focuses on maximising laundry cabinetry storage and usability. Laundry day is made easier with the inclusion of the LG washer and dryer, Pull-out Wire Basket, and black Hanging Rail. LED Strip lighting has been strategically placed under the laundry wall cabinetry which highlights the beauty of the Silestone Ocean Jasper splashback, while a tall storage cupboard allows for easy placement of linen and cleaning products.
- Kitchen cabinetry: NEW Soft Ziato Metallic, Bottega Oak Woodmatt
- Pantry cabinetry: Bottega Oak Woodmatt
- Laundry cabinetry: Bottega Oak Woodmatt, Stone Grey Matt
- Handles: NEW Matt Black Ova Pull Handle 192mm (38-D-03), NEW Matt Black Ova Pull Handle 320mm (40-D-07), Touch Catch, Champagne Bar (15-K-148) in laundry
- Benchtops & splashbacks: Contact Cosentino. Get the look with Silestone by Cosentino in Desert Silver or Ethereal Glow (kitchen). Silestone by Cosentino in Ocean Jasper (laundry)
- Kitchen island tiles: By contestants
- Accessories: Cutlery Trays, Häfele Ninka Bins, Häfele Tandem Pantry, Pull Out Pantry, Pull-out Wire Basket, Hanging Rail in Black
- Sink: Häfele Single and 1 3/4 bowl undermount sink in Linen Gunmetal (kitchen), Hafele double undermount (pantry), Häfele Single Linen Laundry sink in Gunmetal (laundry)
- Taps: Häfele Gooseneck mixer with vegie spray in Gunmetal (kitchen & laundry), InSinkErator Multitap instant-filtered water (pantry)
- Lighting: Häfele Warm LED Strip Lighting, Verti-Strip Lighting (within Häfele Tandem Pantries)
Appliances: Smeg & LG. Supplied by The Good Guys
House 3: Kristy and Brett
Kristy and Brett’s kitchen is a masterclass in Classic Luxury! The light and bright look is achieved with a predominately white kitchen palette created with Fresh White Satin cabinetry paired with our new Matt White Knurled bar kitchen handles. The dramatic stone-look benchtop on the island bench ensures that the kitchen is the heart of House 3. All the judges loved it- Darren literally hugged it! “Five years ago, even three years ago, people were going ‘Oh, my god, this colour no way’. But this is so now,” explained Shaynna. “And will be ‘now’ for a long time with those warm tones. This is not going out of date quickly.”
The back wall of cabinetry spans an impressive 5.5 metres, evoking a seamless look with Fresh White Satin doors concealing two integrated fridges and Häfele Tandem Pantries. A chef’s kitchen, the design features four ovens, and a gas/induction fusion cooktop, all from ASKO. In a clever use of space, the pair utilised a spare wall near the kitchen, adding two Wine Climate Cabinets positioned at the end of the island run, where guests can gather and sit.
“I have to say, it is really refreshing to see an all-white kitchen- we rarely see it these days,” said Neale. “I think it is absolutely beautiful, and combined with these metal handles, it’s stunning. I love all of that!”
The kitchen cabinet design allows for ample storage in the room, thanks to a mixture of drawers within the kitchen island bench and numerous cabinets lining the back wall, as well as the separate butler’s pantry. One of our favourite solutions (and the judges) is the ‘Rise & Fall splashback’ which is James Bond-like in terms of its functionality. Herbs, spices, oils, and other kitchen essentials can be organised within the Oak Woodgrain open shelving behind the splashback which can be raised, allowing access to pantry essentials – all within easy reach of the cooktop and ovens nearby! “I love a little secret panel,” cried Shaynna.
Designed to be practical as well as stylish, their laundry offers a wealth of laundry room cabinetry as well as the cutest arched pet bed which was a feature that had all the judges gushing! Mirroring the colour palette of their kitchen, the design focuses on crisp Fresh White Satin cabinetry with statement Matt White Knurled Bar handles. A small run of joinery features in Oak Woodgrain, adding warmth to the modern scheme, while marble-inspired Silestone by Cosentino countertops in Ethereal Haze complete the look.
It’s not just its stylish good looks that ensures that this modern laundry room ticks all the boxes. Key elements such as a wealth of storage space, bench space for folding, hard-working ASKO laundry appliances including a Drying Cabinet, a Pull-out Wire Basket, and arched Pet Bed, come together to produce a laundry that is a pleasure to be in.
- Cabinetry: Fresh White Satin, Oak Woodgrain
- Handles: NEW Matt White Knurled Bar 160mm (38-D-04), Matt White Knurled Bar 320mm (40-D-08), Volpato, Touch Catch
- Benchtops & splashbacks: Contact Cosentino (kitchen), Contact Cosentino (island), Silestone Ethereal Haze (pantry & laundry).
- Sink: Häfele Double Undermount in Gunmetal (kitchen), Double bowl Hafele (pantry), Häfele Single Bowl in Gunmetal (laundry)
- Tap: Häfele Gooseneck mixer with vegie spray in Gunmetal in kitchen, InSinkErator in kitchen, MultiTap in pantry, Häfele Gunmetal tap (laundry)
- Accessories: Häfele Ninka Bins, Upper Drawers, Häfele Tandem Pantries, Pull-out Wire Basket, Pet Ped
- Lighting: Häfele Warm LED Strip lighting, Verti-strip lighting (within Häfele Tandem Pantries)
- Appliances: ASKO. Supplied by The Good Guys
House 4: Steph and Gian
Serene and elegant, Steph and Gian focused on blending neutral tones with texture to produce a modern kitchen that is the heart of their home. The pair opted for a bright and organic colour palette, produced by combining Kinsman’s new Porto Maple Woodmatt and Platinum Metallic cabinets with statement Ebony Stained American Oak handles. Soft creamy countertops have been extended onto the splashbacks creating a seamless look throughout.
Shaynna loved the combination of the Porto Maple cabinetry paired with the benchtops in a similar, nearly matching tone. “Aesthetically, it’s absolutely exquisite,” add Neale. “It’s that really clever mix of Scandinavian meets Japanese, even meets a bit of Tuscany. There’s so many really beautifully balanced influences.”
A true entertainer’s kitchen, key cooking appliances including a Fisher & Paykel Induction Cooktop with integrated ventilation, have been placed on the island bench- giving family and guests a front row seat to the drama of creating meals. Spanning a generous 3 metres, the island also provides a seating nook and a wealth of additional storage.
An effective cleaning zone has been produced within the back wall of joinery, consisting of an integrated dishwasher, hidden Ninka Bin, Gunmetal undermount sink and Gooseneck mixer with vegie spray. To the left of this zone, the fridge is integrated behind cabinetry, while on the right, a pull-out Dispensa Pantry keeps kitchen essentials organised and within easy reach.
Their nearby laundry has a colour palette which echoes that of their kitchen, focusing on organic tones and texture, repeating a mixture of Porto Maple Woodmatt and Platinum Metallic cabinetry, statement handles, and creamy marble-inspired benches and splashbacks. The Fisher & Paykel front-loader washing machine and dryer have been positioned side by side, allowing for a generous laundry bench to be placed above– perfect for folding and sorting clothing. Laundry cabinet ideas achieve abundant storage, with a Pull-out Wire basket and Häfele’s Tandem Side, particular highlights. Tall cabinets allow for easy storage for items such as brooms, mops, and ironing boards.
“This is a brilliantly functional laundry,” said Darren. “We’ve got a connection to the outdoors through a door, it has lots and lots of bench space, and all the appliances you could need.”
- Kitchen cabinetry: NEW Porto Maple Woodmatt
- Pantry cabinetry: NEW Platinum Metallic
- Handles: Ebony Stained American Oak 200mm (45-D-09), Ebony Stained American Oak 300mm (55-D-10), Touch Catch
- Benchtops & Splashbacks: Contact Cosentino (kitchen), Contact Cosentino (pantry). Get the look (in kitchen) with Silestone by Cosentino in Snowy Ibiza or Pietra
- Accessories: NEW Häfele Dispensa Pantry, NEW Häfele Cooking Agent, Häfele Ninka Bins, Pull-out Wire Basket, NEW Häfele Tandem Side
- Sink: Häfele 1 3/4 bowl undermount sink in Gunmetal (kitchen & pantry), Häfele Squareline Laundry Sink in Gunmetal (laundry)
- Tap: Häfele Gooseneck mixer with vegie spray in Gunmetal (kitchen & laundry), Häfele Gooseneck in Gunmetal with InSinkErator (pantry)
- Lighting: Häfele Warm LED Strip lighting
- Appliances: Fisher & Paykel. Supplied by The Good Guys
House 5: Eliza and Liberty WINNERS
Score: 30 (29 +1 thanks to the gnome)
Bold and exciting, Eliza and Liberty’s winning kitchen design demands attention and is full of great kitchen ideas! So much so, that the sisters took out the coveted win this week- even scoring a perfect ten from Shaynna Blaze!
The orange Smeg Portofino Freestanding Cooker with matching Canopy Rangehood is the central focal point within the layout, complemented by our Oyster Grey Matt joinery, Brushed Brass handles, and dark moody benchtops. “It’s a very bold move to make, I personally love it, because I love orange, it’s a colour that makes me so happy,” Neale said with a smile. “It’s such a vibrant, positive colour – not for everyone – but good on Eliza and Liberty for doing it and taking that risk.”
Perfect for open plan living, the L-shaped design allows for plenty of space and flow, as well as room for a stunning 4-metre-long island bench. Eliza and Liberty continued to make strong style statements in their design, opting for industrial-style grey benchtops with 120mm mitred edges. This surface has also been used across two splashback zones, highlighting the bar area and cooking zone perfectly.
“This is the correct way to do an island bench,” said Darren, encouraging the other judges to take a seat, allowing them all to enjoy the design, imagining how the future homeowners will be able to enjoy such a special part of the home. Neale also noted that it was the first benchtop not to have a sink or cooktop on it; “it’s just pure, unadulterated bench.”
Storage and organisation abound within the kitchen, with a plethora of cabinets featured throughout, including the kitchen island bench. Design Side Drawers provide plenty of space for larger items such as pots and pans, while our new Cooking Agent unit has been strategically placed next to the stove to allow access to cooking essentials. The separate butler’s pantry also provides another useful space for appliances and storage, featuring our new Budino Walnut Woodmatt joinery.
“You’ve got everything you need, and pretty much where you want it,” summed up Neale.
Sitting pretty behind their standout kitchen and pantry, Eliza and Liberty’s winning laundry room is another standout room within their home. Game-changing appliances, plenty of storage space which includes a separate linen room, and a modern colour scheme are at the heart of the design. Oyster Grey Matt cabinetry features again, paired with Budino Walnut Woodmatt doors, complemented by Brushed Brass Lip Pull handles and Silestone by Cosentino in Blanco Maple14 Q40 benches.
To make the most of the small laundry space, the sisters selected the impressive WashTower™ All-In-One Stacked Washer Dryer in Black Steel and Clothes Styler, both from LG, allowing laundry day to be efficient and enjoyable. Inclusions such as a wire laundry basket and black hanging rail also add to the usability of the space. A generous linen cupboard with opening shelving in Budino Walnut Woodmatt provides even more storage, allowing these items to be neatly hidden away while still easy to access.
“I really like the flow of these spaces, I really do,” said Neale. “I love the way that the kitchen flows into the butler’s, which flows into the laundry. It feels logical.” But it was the discovery of the walk-in linen cupboard that really won over the judges, in particular Shaynna. “We have been crying out for functionality all day, and here it is in spades,” she cried. This is incredible! Go, girls!”
- Cabinetry: Oyster Grey Matt, NEW Budino Walnut Woodmatt
- Handles: NEW Brushed Brass Lip Pull (15-D-01), NEW Brushed Satin Brass (65-D-12), Touch Catch
- Benchtops & splashbacks: Contact Get the look with Silestone by Cosentino in Seaport (kitchen & pantry). Silestone by Cosentino in Blanco Maple14 Q40 (laundry)
- Accessories: NEW Häfele Cooking Agent, Häfele Ninka Bins with Inner Drawer, Design Side Drawers, 2020 Alumin Frame Shelving with Glass Shelves, Hafele Wine Glass Holder, Pull-out Wire Basket, Hanging Rail in Black
- Sink: Häfele Double Quartz kitchen sink in Alpine (kitchen), Single Häfele sink (pantry), Häfele Single Linen Laundry sink in Stainless Steel (laundry)
- Taps: Häfele Gooseneck Mixer Tap with Vegie Spray in Brushed Gold with InSinkErator (kitchen & laundry), MultiTap by InSinkErator (pantry)
- Lighting: Häfele Warm LED Strip lighting
- Appliances: Smeg & LG. Supplied by The Good Guys
“It’s good to be back”, Neale smiled as he hasn’t been judging every week this season. “I would not have missed it for the world.” “I was just about to say, great to have you back, said Shaynna. “And what day on Kitchen Week. You love the heart of the home!” Don’t we all?!
Fallen in love with a kitchen & laundry style from The Block, and ready to bring it into your home with Kinsman?
For expert advice on kitchen and laundry design or product choices, book an in-store, in-home, or virtual appointment. Alternatively, download our Ideas & Inspiration Catalogue HERE for more images, inspiration, and product information.